If you receive the following message during installation, you should perform the steps listed in the solution below.
"Error 1609. An error occurred while applying security settings. User is not a valid user or group. This could be a problem with the package, or a problem connecting to a domain controller on the network. Check your network connection and click Retry, or Cancel to end the install."
You may also receive error 1332, which reads as follows: "Unable to locate the user's SID, system error 1332".
Typically, the 1609 error only occurs on Windows operating systems that use non-U.S. English as a language. If you are using the Windows Vista operating system, ensure that User Account Control (UAC) is turned off and then perform the following steps:
1. Create a new user called CREATOR OWNER (See below).
2. Create a new group called Users (See below).
To accomplish these first two steps, follow the instructions below:
- Select Run from the Windows Start menu.
- Type cmd in the Open text box, press ENTER to start the command interpreter interface, and type net localgroup Users /add and then net user "CREATOR OWNER" /add.
3. Click retry in the dialog box to allow the installation to continue, or restart the installation if it has been canceled.
Note:The created user and group do not need any permissions applied to them. The installer applies permissions correctly by using the SID for the CREATOR OWNER user and for the Users group. Once the installer is completed, you can remove the user and group.
The local group and the user should be entered exactly as shown in the steps (we recommend copying and pasting). If the steps do not work, we recommend making a screenshot or copying the text that shows the entries you made to create the correct local group and user and e-mail the screenshot to email@example.com.